Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reality Bites!

My attitude isn't great as I write this weeks blog. I am beginning to think building was a horrible mistake and by the time this house is done I am going to despise it. A little background is that we were supposed to be in this house a long time ago. Between banking and weather delays this project has taken entirely too long for me. Everyone tells you its going to take longer and cost more than planned but it doesn't have to (in my simple mind). We are under budget but this time frame is killing me. Building a house sounds good in theory like a new puppy. But after nights of no sleep and too many bite marks to count...you start to realize that maybe this wasn't the best decision I've ever made.
Rainie, our newest edition

Ok now to the progress this week. Ken Pierson of All Phases Construction, who has done most of the building of the house, is also tiling our shower. He came up on Saturday to start the shower knowing what a hurry I am to get moved in. Thanks Ken! The house is beautiful and the shower is better than I could have imagined. We had discussed putting in one inset wall shelf...but he gave me two. We discussed adding a bench not for sitting but for shaving legs....and again I got two!

The man getting paid the least but working every spare minute on this project is Tommy. This project is starting to wear on us. Frankly I think I have just said "I don't really like that" one too many times. Anyways...he is doing a great job. I am very proud of his perseverance with the house. He finished up the back deck this weekend which proved to be more work that he thought. He also installed our hood vent in the kitchen.

Our good friend Tim and his father in law John came up and helped Thomas move the fridge into place.

The sink was also set and now the counter tops can finally be installed.

We also have all the cabinets installed. Here is a little preview of my future media cabinet with shelves. I really love how this turned out. Thanks to Todd Inman he was able to turn a few different photos into exactly what we were looking for.

And the master bathroom...

Finally....I attempt to avoid any pictures of myself but my little Quinny helping me move the trim into the garage was too cute to not share. If you could have seen the strut when he walked back for the next load. Priceless.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes doesn't it just feel like you're slogging through mud in flip flops? Instead of The Big Picture, just focus on the task at hand, and remember it's just a whole lot of baby steps.
    You guys are doing great.The granite looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I love your analogy. I don't know how you have survived this process for nearly two years now.
    The granite was a difficult decision. I too have light floors and dark cabinets. We were originally doing concrete with green marble subway tile backsplash but that fell through. I really like simple things and granite is too busy for me. But...it actually turned out nice and it will be easier to care for too. I can't wait to see what you picked out.
    June 27, 2011 11:01 AM

    ReplyDelete